Dubai: The United Arab Emirates is a country with an evergreen economy that has been attracting foreign investors for more than a decade to setting up their businesses there.
Today, it has become a hub for doing business across Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
It’s no news about foreign investors having 100% ownership of their businesses and the ability to have a 100% tax-free company in the UAE.
If you are a foreign investor searching for ways to setup a business in Dubai, UAE, this guide is for you.
In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step details and recommended procedures for obtaining a professional license in Dubai for your business.
Before we proceed, here is what we will cover:
1.A Brief Definition of the Types of Business Licenses in Dubai, UAE
To start, let’s look at the three main types of business licenses in Dubai, UAE.
Commercial Business License:
This type of business license is issued for businesses that perform trading activities such as import/export, General Trading, and other commercial activities.
Industrial Business License:
This type of license is issued for business activities such as Manufacturing, packaging, assembling, or processing.
Professional Business License:
A professional Business license in Dubai is the type of license given to an individual to offer services related to their skills, educational qualification, talent, etc..
These can be Consultancy Services, Beauty Salons, Printing, Designing, etc..
NB: Though they’re other types of business licenses issued for some specific types of businesses based on their activities, operation, or services, these are the three main types of business licenses in Dubai, UAE
2. 10 Types of Business Activities Under Dubai Professional License
A Dubai professional license can be given to a single person as the principal business owner. In the case of more than one individual owning this type of company, it’s referred to as a civil company.
Here we will look at just 10 of those activities under a professional license.
- Business, Accounting and Book Keeping, Immigration Consultancy Services.
- Artisanship, Sculpting, Painting, Arts
- Cleaning Services
- Educational Training Services
- Web Designing, Hosting, and Development Services
- Graphic Designing and Digital Marketing Services
- Computer Software and Hardware Repairing Services
- Medical Services
- Electrical / Electronic Repairing and Maintenance Services
- Information Technology Services
To inquire about more services under a professional license in Dubai, kindly book a free consultation here.
3. A Detailed and Recommended Procedures to Obtain a Professional Business License in Dubai, UAE
Now we have come to the part where this article is about ( The Recommended Procedures to Obtain a Professional License in Dubai).
Here, we will give you the detailed procedures to obtain a professional service license in Dubai, UAE.
For anyone who wants to set up a business in Dubai, the first thing to do is to outline the activities of your business with respect to your company’s goals and objectives.
It is always advisable to hire a local agent to carry out all the legal duties in obtaining a professional license from the Department of Economic Development (DED) in Dubai.
The next thing to do is to come up with a name for your business. We recommend having at least three optional names. In case your desired name is registered by another company you can go for the next.
Get a local agreement form, take the help of a Local interpreter to help in translating ( to Arabic, if Needed), fill out the form and get it notarized by a public notary.
Draft a Memorandum of Association ( MOA ) with a local sponsor. Always make sure to mention the annual fee of your local sponsor in the MOA.
If there is more than one owner ( civil company) of your business, you will need to fill out another application form and get it attested.
The next step is to get a signed court agreement by all the business partners before a notary public.
Next is to obtain a municipal clearance for your tenancy contract.
Submit a passport copy of all shareholders ( if more than one) in any DED branch office.
Pay the necessary fee for your professional license at the counter, get your payment voucher, and wait to collect your professional business license.
4. What are the Required Documents to Acquire a Professional License in Dubai, UAE?
For you to acquire a professional license to start a business in Dubai, UAE, you are required to submit the following documents:
- An Application Form from the Department of Economy Development in Dubai
- Passport Copies of business owners.
- The naturalization book of your local partner ( Jinsiya )
- If you or your partner is employed by another entity in the UAE, a No-Objective Certificate (NOC) is needed from the employer.
- A copy of your visit or transit visa is needed if you or your partner resides out of the UAE,
NB: Depending on the type of activities to be taken by your company, you will need some initial approval from relevant authorities e.g.: RTA, Municipality, NMC, ETC.
5. What is the Cost of a Professional License in the UAE?
The cost of a professional license in Dubai is dependent on many factors, such as:
- Business License Fee
- Administrative service Fee
- Agent Fees
- Trade Name Fees
- Tenancy FEE
- Government Cultural fees, etc.
You can Calculate the initial cost of your business setup in Dubai using this Online Cost Calculator.
6. Can You Acquire a Business License even if you are not a resident in Dubai and the UAE?
For foreign investors who are not residents in Dubai and the UAE, it is possible to get your business license in Dubai while in your home country or anywhere.
Our Business advisors can help you get your Professional business license in Dubai.
Over the years, we have setup a team of experienced advisors committed to helping startups, international entrepreneurs, and businesses of all sizes to start a business in Dubai and the UAE.
Would you want to get some advice on how to effectively setup your business in UAE?
Book your Free consultation